So it is time yet again to post to this blog thing that I started a while ago to update people on my life. This week has been a very interesting one for me.
It started off on Sunday with going to church... then off to my parents house with the wife to eat dinner.. hang out.. and watch some good old football before the big day on Monday when I started my much anticipated internship. I asked my father for a blessing for confidence, surity, and comfort from the anxiety I felt about the internship. It was a beautiful blessing and after I felt the power of the priesthood work its way into my soul to comfort.
On Monday I had to be in the office at 8:30AM for a welcoming party. I left my apartment at 7:45 just to be sure that I would leave enough time to be there.. and sure enough there was an accident on the 8 and bad traffic all the way up the 5 going into La Jolla (I guess a lot of people work there or something).
When I walked in there was another guy sitting in the waiting chair who I immediatley introduced myself to. His name was Andre and he was one of the other interns that I would be working with. Finally, after waiting for a while we were both ushered into the conference room where we were invited to eat all the breakfast goodies they had provided. Shortly after all the regular staff and partners filed in to welcome the interns and some new staff to the team for the upcoming tax season. It was a nice welcome and I, along with the other intern were introduced to everyone else.
After the meeting, we were off to get a tour of the office from one of the tax seniors and then taken down by the office HR manager to see everything else outside of the office. The weirdest part was seeing the gym that they have just outside the building. Now, I don't know if everyone knows this but my internship is in the building right next to the temple. With that being said, we walked out and headed down a flight of stairs into a side door amongst a big white wall that had the same stoning work as the side of the temple. We walked in and I immediatley realized that we were standing underneath the temple parking lot! There was work out machines, showers, and the whole nine yards under there! it was awesome, but I have to admit that it was a bit weird knowing where I was in proximity to the temple. :-)
So after that interesting experince we went back inside and I was shown my work station or "cubicle" whch was very nice I must say. There is ample amount of space to work, I have two big LCD screens for my workflow, and an awesome recliner chair that feels great to sit in! I can get used to this! However, the next 5 hours of my day were not exciting. They had me do some 2 hour tutorial on the accounting software they use... and when I was finished with that, there was nothing else for me to do. Even after I asked them to give me something to do! I went home that night feeling ok about the internship but a hint of dissapointment was in me due to the feeling that I was not useful to them in any way after eight hours of being there.
The next day was MUCH better. I was only there for a couple hours to do some training and they provided lunch for us which was REALLY GOOD. I forgot to mention that I was not given a lunch break to eat the day before and I arrived home with a massive head ache and super cranky. Also, the training we got that day completley replaced everything I had learned the day before on the software tutorials... UGH! But it was nice to get it hammered into my head TWICE! After the meeting we were excused to go home and return on Thursday at 11AM for a crash course in tax return preparation with the software.
After coming home it was off to costo with the wife to FINALLY become a member and see the "savings" we can get from buying in bulk. If you ask me I don't see much of a difference. I guess it will pay off eventually.
Today was a day off for me which I think are going to be few and far between from now on.. But I got a lot done.. I think... If you count going to the gym twice and relaxing for a greater part of the day productive. BUT there is some good news on the horizon. I will let Ashley tell her story of this week when she feels it pertanent to do so.
I'm OUT!
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment